WebP Converter for Media - WordPress Plugin
CreatedJune 16, 2019 @ 12:00 am
UpdatedJune 26, 2019 @ 09:40 pm
Speed up your website by serving WebP images. By replacing files in standard JPEG, PNG and GIF formats with WebP format, you can save over a half of the page weight without losing quality.
When installing a plugin you do not have to do anything more. Your current images will be converted into a new format. Users will automatically receive new, much lighter images than the original ones.
As of today, nearly 80% of users use browsers that support the WebP format. The loading time of your website depends to a large extent on its weight. Now you can speed up it in a few seconds without much effort!
This will be a profit both for your users who will not have to download so much data, but also for a server that will be less loaded. Remember that a better optimized website also affects your Google ranking.
How does this work?
- By adding images to your media library, they are automatically converted and saved in a separate directory.
- If you have just installed the plugin, you can convert all existing images with one click.
- Images are converted using PHP
Imagickextension (you can modify the compression level).
- When the browser tries to download an image file, the server verifies if it supports
image/webpfiles and if the file exists.
- If everything is OK, instead of the original image, the browser will receive its equivalent in WebP format.
- The plugin does not change image URLs, so there are no problems with saving the HTML code of website to the cache and time of its generation does not increase. It does not matter if the image display as an
imgHTML tag or you use
background-image. It works always!
- Image URLs are modified using the module
mod_rewriteon the server, i.e. the same, and thanks to this we can use friendly links in WordPress. Additionally, the MIME type of the sent file is modified to
- The final result is that your users download less than half of the data, and the website itself loads faster!
WebP images are the future!
Raise your website to a new level now! Install the plugin and enjoy the website that loads faster. Surely you and your users will appreciate it.